Monday, May 12, 2014

Bout of Books Day 1 Update

Hello friends! I should definitely be sleeping right now but instead we're gonna wrap up day one of the readathon! 


I started Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? at ~12:30 am and finished it around ~ 6 pm. It was certainly no Let's Pretend This Never Happened by Jenny Lewis by it's probably my second favorite "memoir" type book I've ever read. I loved The Office, especially the scripts, and I love Mindy in general so of course I was going to love this book. I liked finally hearing about show biz (especially the writing aspect) from someone who didn't already have family in the business and isn't tiny and blonde. However I did think that her comedy was a bit more raunchy than I would have liked. I let the fat jokes slide since she has also a problem with her weight, but I wasn't sure why there was unnecessary midget jokes. At least she learned something from the rape joke chapter.



I've been trying to get through this short story collection by a Geek & Sundry vlogger for months and finally finished it this evening around 8 pm. I have so many things to say about this collection and a lot of them are bad, which makes me so sad. I have enough thoughts to warrant a whole review video but I would feel really bad since I believe this is self-published and only has 36 ratings and like 6 reviews on Goodreads. Let's just say, it seemed like she was trying so hard. Way too hard for it to be comfortable for the reader. However, she obviously has a lot of potential. The stories were really good, some real Ray Bradbury level plots. It was the prose that made me roll my eyes.


Number of books I've read today: 2
Total number of books I've read: 2

Books left on my goal TBR: 4 (technically as I write this it's 3, but I read it past midnight)
Pages I've read today: 306

Total pages I've read: 306

I felt that I could have read more today, I took quite a bit of breaks because while I didn't have any work to do, I still felt weird just reading all day. I don't know why I thought watching movies was more constructive than reading.

I also totally did the 'If You Like X, The Try Y' challenge! I get super proud of myself when I do something semi-social during these.

Remember to follow my twitter for my HILARIOUS live tweets that only make sense to myself.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, you're off to a great start! I didn't even open a book yesterday, so my first day of the readathon was a big flop :p Today will be better though!

    Finley Jayne
    http://finleyjayne.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what an amazing start!

    ReplyDelete